Doylestown United Methodist Church
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Grow In Faith To Serve...Christ
· The room will be cleaned weekly by the Church Sexton.
o Vacuumed only
· The room will remain unlocked at all times.
· Any additional equipment will be authorized by the Children’s Ministry Director and purchased, if necessary, through the Children’s Education budget.
· Like-New Donations will be accepted. The Nursery Coordinator will check to ensure the equipment is safe and up to date.
· The Nursery Coordinator will ensure all toys (as necessary) are sanitized after each use.
· The baby toys are stored in the low shelves covered by a sheet during preschool time. All other equipment will be stacked in an assigned section.
· The nursery should always have the following…
o First Aid Kit
§ Incident reports
o Clorox (or similar) wipes
o Baby Wipes
o Sign In/Out Sheets
o “Safety Number Stickers”
· If someone suspects child abuse they are to report it immediately to the Director of Children’s Ministries. The DCM will then take appropriate action.
· Accusations of worker misconduct will be reported to the Children’s Ministry Director at the time of incident.
· If a natural disaster or a weather-related emergency occurs, the babysitter in charge will notify parents immediately and then evacuate the building with sign in/out clipboard. If this is not possible, evacuate children to the Temple located next door. At that time, notify parents by cell phone.
· If an accident occurs, the Nursery Coordinator (or next in charge) will treat the child accordingly. After the child is safe and parents are notified- if extreme- the NC will fill out appropriate paperwork to document the accident.
· When changing a child’s diaper or dealing with blood the NC or babysitter in charge MUST use gloves.
· The congregation will be asked to assist the NC on a weekly basis.
· There will be AT LEAST 2 babysitters in the nursery at all times.
· Teenagers will be able to assist in the nursery. If they are under 18, two additional adults will need to be present.
· Our Nursery Coordinator is a paid position.
· The nursery will adhere to the follow ratios…
o Birth thru 12 months 1:4 Ratio
o 12 to 24 months 1:5 Ratio
o 24 to 36 months 1:6 Ratio
o 3 years + 1:7 Ratio
· Criminal Background, Child Abuse and Safe Sanctuaries Checks will be performed on ALL volunteers and employees before assisting in the nursery.
· A volunteer must have been attending the church at least six months in advance before serving.
· Schedules will be made in advance and distributed via postal mail.
· The nursery workers will not take children out of room unless they have the permission of the parent. If the worker must get the parent, the worker will go alone, without the child.
· It’s the responsibility of the volunteer or employee to find a suitable substitute if needed.
· If a scheduled worker is ill, that worker is asked to find a replacement for that specific day.
· Required yearly Safe Santuaries training sessions will occur.
· A volunteer or employee will be dismissed immediately if suspected child abuse occurs until the matter is determined.
· You are expected to supply all needs for your child.
· You may stay with your child until he/she is made comfortable.
· Parents are asked not to come into the nursery to check on their children. They may observe through the window in the door. If there is a problem, they may enter at that time.
· Parents will be contacted via a paging system (Fall 2010) if they are needed to return to the nursery.
· Parents will check their child in and out with the assigned sticker/number and present that same sticker/number upon return.
· Parents are asked not to enter the nursery unless necessary and hand child over to the greeter at the door.
· If a child has a special need, a parent will need to notify the nursery coordinator of the situation. If this is not possible, the volunteer will relay the information in writing.
· All parents are asked to take their turn in the nursery.
· Children birth thru 2 years old will be able to utilize the nursery during the 9:30am service during the school year.
· Children birth thru Kindergarten will able to utilize the nursery during the 11:00am service all year around.
· The NC will decide if a child is too old for the room. At that time, they will contact the Children’s Ministry Director for advisement. Together the parents will be notified.
· If a child is clearly sick, he/she will not be able to stay in the nursery.
o Yellow Runny Nose
o Red small bumps
· Snacks will be served to the children at the discretion of the NC.
o We ask that all children are fed before they enter the nursery
· All children are to be changed before the parent leaves the nursery.